I’ve found an old image of Beyond Dark Castle that is compatible with the version of Mini vMac we are using below! I added it to the existing archive, DarkCastle.zip. Now you can simply drop the ROM file, BDCImage.hfv into the running emulator and be off to the races with the equally legendary sequel. Enjoy.
Dark Castle was one of my favorite games to play on the old mid-1980s Macintoshes like the Mac Plus. I spent some time last year looking for a version I could run in Windows, but with no success. A few weeks ago I discovered a tutorial for running Dark Castle via a Mac emulator. I felt it was a bit confusing and left something to be desired, so I decided to put together a one-stop shop for playing Dark Castle in Windows.
All the files you will need are in the archive DarkCastle.zip.
- Unzip the archive.
- Run the Mini vMac.exe executable. Mini vMac is is a Mac Plus emulator which is freely distributed. Mini vMac requires a ROM image from a Macintosh Plus to run, which I’ve provided as well.
- Once you’ve executed Mini vMac.exe, you are effectively running a Mac Plus with no operating system installed. I consolidated some of the steps in the above mentioned tutorial and created a disk image with System 6 already installed. Go to File > Open Disk Image within Mini vMac and open the file Disk603.dsk or drag the file into the vMac window.
- Now that System 6 is up and running, it would be useful to have a hard drive available to install software and save data to. Just like the previous step drag the included file, hfs10M.DSK into the vMac window to mount the 10M hard disk image I pre-loaded with the Dark Castle software.
- That’s pretty much it. Run the Dark Castle executable to start the game.
Enjoy the game! If you’re anything like me, it should be a nice trip down memory lane. Let me know if you have any questions about the game play.
Next on the list of Mac games I would like to resurrect is Lode Runner…
I restarted my computer and I have sound. I played for an hour non-stop!
I can not begin to tell you how long I’ve searched for an emulator version of Dark Castle to play. I’ve been seconds away from winning 2 different eBay auctions for an old Mac Plus so that I could play it. This takes me right back to my childhood.
YOU DESERVE THE HIGHEST OF FIVES
I cannot get out of the great hall, how do I choose a door to go through? I cannot see any mouse cursor on the screen. I’m using windows 7, help!
Wow! I don’t know what else to say. So easy to do and it works. Brings me back to college where I spent too much time playing this vs. school work. Ah, the good times. Thanks so much!
I have a PC but I used to play Beyond Dark Castle on the Macintosh.
I wanted to know if Beyond Dark Castle can be downloaded on a PC
or is it just Mac compatible.
You’re so awesome. SO #*$&ING AWESOME!!!
Do you remember Dino Eggs for the Apple II GS? I wish they would make a version of that game for windows.
Thank you SO much for making this available! Like others have said, takes me right back to my childhood!
Your link to Dark Castle for XP doesn’t work. Please fix it, as I have not played Dark Castle since the early 90s.
Thanks for pointing that out, Dan. The link is fixed now. There are still many broken links, I am finding, since I migrated the site. I’ll need to fix those soon.
You Sir are magnificent! Thank you so much for this, I´ve been looking for years and I curse the stupid internet for not sending me here sooner: everything you need, simple as hell. I am in a mac and it worked perfectly still (even the rom file I was stuck with). Again, thanks for this childhood glimpse! All the best. Cheers
Thank you very much my friend, u ve earned the heaven hehehe
Awesome Brandon. It still works perfectly on windows 10.
Total newcomers might also need this information:
– In the hall press 1, 2, 3 or 4 to select a room.
– The controls are explained in the “info” section in game and can be customized.
– Use the macintosh “shut down” command from the “special” menu before you quit the emulator.
Thanks again to have put this together!